Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 9: Afraid to Do

The other terror that scares us from self-trust is our consistency; a reverence for our past act or word, because the eyes of others have no other data for computing our orbit than our past acts, and we are loath to disappoint them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Emerson says: “Always do what you are afraid to do.” What is ‘too scary’ to write about? Try doing it now.

Well it took me a few days to work up the courage on this one but I did it this afternoon. It is ALWAYS 'too scary' for me to tell my mother about a new tattoo, but I decided she is going to find out sooner or later and I might as well be on the other side of the country.

It is hard for me to sometimes judge reactions from her over the phone if she doesn't clearly verbalize them. I of course could sense disappointment in her voice and I am sure she isn't very happy about it; however she wasn't angry (or I couldn't tell she was). This may be because after four tattoos its no surprise but still a let down.

She just asked me one question, "Why cherry blossoms?" Well the obvious answer is that I love Asian culture, I want to go to Japan, and they are beautiful. All great answers in my opinion. But after I decided on cherry blossoms I started to look more into their meanings and it just seemed right.

I cannot find the website that I had looked at but here is another one that has a shorter explanation (http://tattoopub.com/cherry-blossom-tattoos.htm).


Outlining


Shading


Color


Today's sentence: The sun is shining and the weather is extremely warm, it is feeling like Yuma today.

3 comments:

Cheryl Newton said...

Wow, Joan. I must say: when you decide to do something, you go big. Pretty!

Katie Kat said...

Very pretty. I don't think I'll ever get a tattoo. Not because I'm against them or anything. I'm just far too fickle. :)

Sabra said...

Should I go pick Mom up off the floor?