Friday, June 10, 2011

Day 11: Divine Idea

Imitation is Suicide. Insist on yourself; never imitate. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Write down in which areas of your life you have to overcome these suicidal tendencies of imitation, and how you can transform them into a newborn you – one that doesn’t hide its uniqueness, but thrives on it. There is a “divine idea which each of us represents” – which is yours?

I have been in a constant struggle between "Mormon" life and "normal" life, the whole Joan vs Joann (as Kirsten says). The past year and a half or so I have been trying to do the "Mormon thing" (church, marriage, etc.). Being 24, single, and career oriented I often feel very out of place in "Mormon world". I suppose I have been trying to imitated what I feel is expected of me from such a culture.

The past few weeks I have been trying to find some weird balance between who I think people expect me to be and who I actually am. I suppose I should take my own advice (from previous post) and just be true to myself no matter what anyone thinks.

As for what my divine idea is...I have no idea. I just want to be happy.

No comments: