Sunday, September 26, 2010

Wall Art for Under $25

My project this weekend was to get some art up in the dining room. The walls are so bare and ugly (apartment white). A month or so ago, before the revamping of the chairs, I found a really easy to it your self art project. So Saturday morning I went to work to get it done.

I had to buy wood and have it cut into 1' X 1' squares. The little old man at Lowe's looked like he was going to strangle me; but he helped me get all I needed and didn't even charge me for cutting the wood. Thank you LOWE'S!

After I got all my supplies I headed home and painted the edges of my squares brown. Then I got the scrap booking paper I picked out ready, glued on, and then covered in decoupage. After they had dried I added frame hooks on the back and then went to work hanging them.

I am extremely OCD so making sure they were correctly spaced apart was a bit of a job but I was able to get it done.

All in all this is an extremely easy project and makes a naked wall look great! Also, it is very cheap:
wood $18.00 (i used less then half the board so really like $9
paint $2.50
paper $8.50
glue $1.75
frame backs $2
decoupage I already had from years ago so FREE
TOTAL 23.25(ish)

AND (drum roll please) HERE ARE THE PICS...



7 comments:

xenacat1 said...

How thick was the wood, Joan? Just regular plywood? I've seen the same project but with blank art canvases instead of wood, but I think I like the wood (heh heh heh, I said I like the wood) better. Plus, with all those saws out in the garage (well, I think they're saws anyway), I think my sweetie could cut it for me.

Wendy said...

Love it! Well done!

Granni P said...

Very nice Joan! I love em!

Katie Kat said...

Similar to the project Sabra and I worked on a couple of weeks ago! Very cute :)

JennyandTyler said...

Joan...you are a crazy crafter. You make everything look so easy and inexpensive. I sometimes think I am going to do something crafty and then, well I don't. I have been waiting to see your chairs, and they turned out great! I also have been wanting to tell you congratulations for a long time on your engagement. I am really excited for you both and am so glad you found each other. I am also a little jealous that you get Cathy as a mother in law.
So, about the house. We build a house in gilbert 2 years ago. It is a beautiful house and I love it, but we grew out of the yard and garage. My husband has a rental and forclosure cleanup businesst that he does on the side and he needed more room. Also I am staying home now with our baby so we were trying to find a way to cut costs. Since we couldn't sell our house in this market we decided to rent it out and buy something else. We got an insane deal in a house in Mesa with a 1/4 acre lot. It's quite a bit smaller of a house, but there are only the three of us. So we are fixing it up and then in a few years we hope to keep it as a rental and buy another house. Probably more than you cared to know, but that is the story. So, when is the big day, and where are you guys going to live?

Jen said...

I love it! What kind of glue did you use?

Just Joan said...

To glue the paper just regular clear Elmer's glue. I decoupaged the top.