Saturday, September 11, 2010

What Did I Get Myself Into?!?!?

Well I started my next craft project this week and it began with a bang! Thursday night I decided it was time to take all the material off the chairs. The ones that I have had for the past year or so only had one layer (thank goodness). However, the three that I got from freecycle had THREE layers! The last chair I took apart had a little note stuck inside from October of 1985. Funny the first time these chairs were recovered was the year before I was born. These chairs must be OLD!







Friday I went to Joann's to get fabrics for the chairs and I ended up getting LUCKY. Everything was 50% off and I still spent $60!! I would have had a heart attack if I didn't catch the sale. I spent the rest of the evening reattaching the foam and covering the seats in my new fabrics. (I reused the old foam...just washed and dried...saved some $$ there). Chuy was in FLUFF heaven during this process.





Well Saturday I have wanted to cry, scream, and quit doing this project. Painting furniture is much harder than it seems. I wanted to paint 4 green chairs (sides of table), 2 blue chairs (heads of table), and one black (office). I primed the first four and painted green. They looked HORRIBLE!! Apparently I am not much of a furniture painter. After Sabra talked me off the ledge we decided to paint (not spray paint) them white and then I could antique them letting the green and blue show through. I will also need to apply a little stain to make them look old and dark. Well I ended up using $45 worth of primer that I didn't really need to use...IRRITATED! But lesson learned. Call sister before doing anything major to furniture!

The black office chair is turning out nice and easy. I will do the blue chairs next weekend. This was a lot to take on this weekend on my tiny porch. I cannot wait to show you the end results. Oh and I am redoing the table as well but I DO NOT want to think about that right now...I just need to get through these chairs.



This is the biggest catepillar I have ever seen and of course he wanted to help me paint...EWWW! Just makes me nervous for when the weather gets cold and I have to bring all my plants inside...who knows whats living in them.

4 comments:

Tia said...

i love how thrifty you are, that makes for a very happy husband - trust me I should know cause im not!

Sarah said...

The chairs look great!! You need to come over here and help me out!! Also I would have thrown up on that caterpillar! So gross.

ashes said...

I am in love with the green fabrics!! Awesome! You are inspiring me to get crafty.

Carol Godinez said...

Thank goodness for your big sister! :) I love the fabric choices. Good job!