Saturday, May 1, 2010

Oh Yes (I'll be THAT mother)

About three weeks ago the boys had stinky ears and I was a little worried what that might mean. After talking to the vet tech on the phone she suggested we come in because smelly ears can be a bad sign. However, an hour and $50 later I was told the boys had perfect ears and the smell must be something that they rolled in (not uncommon for these two).

Last Sunday Chuy threw up around 20 times in about an hour. I was freaking out as I held my little guy and had him throw up in the trash can (we were out of paper towels). I knew a Sunday night emergency visit to the animal hospital would have made a big impact on my wallet so I decided to call my Aunt Joyce. She was certain that he has eaten something outside that upset his tummy (another thing that is not uncommon). She suggested I take him outside, rinse his mouth with the hose, and force enough water in him that he would throw up everything he had left. Well she was right a minute or two of water and he had it all out. During this time Kirsten called her mother and she told us to break the fever (now that his tummy was empty) we should give him a tablespoon of Karo syrup. He slept all evening and night and woke up all better.

THEN this Thursday Chuy started making this horrible noise and looked like he was trying to catch his breathe or cough up something he had stuck in his throat. I let it go since they are always eating sticks and destroying toys (who could ever know everything he swallows). Well last night he woke up at 4:30 am and had the worst attack thus far. I sat up with him and made sure he caught his breath. I also had to say a little prayer...I needed him to keep breathing through the night and hope that whatever the vet said wouldn't be serious (or expensive). Thankfully the vet said that Chuy has allergies and he is reverse sneezing which can look like the dog is going to die. He also looked at Chuy's record and realized we had just been in a few weeks prior (he made a comment). He was nice enough to not charge me, photocopy the boys' medical records (we are moving soon), and give me the name of a good vet in Baltimore.

As I was driving home I realized a few things...
1) Yes, I am THAT mom..the mom that freaks over every little thing
2) I appreciate all those nights my mom sat up with me while I had asthma and wouldn't calm down because I felt like I couldn't breathe.
3) That even little prayers about your dog at 4:30 am do get answered.

Here is a link to a video of dog reverse sneezing...
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/reverse-sneezing-in-dogs/page1.aspx

2 comments:

Sabra said...

I watched the videos. That is exactly what Fran does. Too funny.

Just Joan said...

I wonder if it is common in doxies or just dogs that are nutballs.