Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving Preparation Day 1

This year I will be spending Thanksgiving in Pittsburgh with Shawn. We are having a dinner at Kirsten and Heyward's, a few doors down. Shawn and I are in charge of the mashed potatoes, two different stuffings, and the turkey.

Last Thursday and this Monday I went to numerous grocery stores to acquire all the insane ingredients in these recipes. Finally at 8:30 pm last night I found chestnuts, it only took looking at three different places.

Today after work I quickly got busy...DAY ONE OF PREPARATION HAS STARTED!

The brine had to be made and the turkey cleaned tonight so that it could soak for 24 hours. We are making a Maple-Cider Brined Turkey with Bourbon-Cider Gravy from Cooking Light (http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/maple-cider-brined-turkey-50400000116730/). The turkey was a little bigger than I had anticipated so I needed to get a 5 gallon bucket from Lowe's to soak her in and there had to be some refrigerator rearranging.





I also made the first stuffing this evening, Ciabatta Stuffing with Chestnuts and Raisins, also from Cooking Light (http://www.cookinglight.com/entertaining/holidays-occasions/thanksgiving-stuffing-recipes-00412000073376/page2.html). I burned the first 10 cups of bread. Thank goodness I bought too much and had plenty to try again. I also had fresh chestnuts instead of bottled (all I could find), so I had the pleasure of boiling, peeling, and cooking them myself. My thumbs are KILLING ME! Oh did I mention I HATE CHESTNUTS NOW. But as you can see from the picture the stuffing looks yummy! Now it can sit in the fridge for a day or so and let all the flavors blend before we get to enjoy it.






If you notice there is no picture of the chestnuts. This was the low point in the evening for me, but I made it through.

2 comments:

Sabra said...

Let's not refer to the turkey as a "her" please.

Just Joan said...

HAHA, Kirsten refers to them as "her" and also names them. I drew the line there. My turkey will not be named. (She also made it do a turkey dance...don't ask)