Sunday, June 6, 2010

Doggy Heimlich

These two boys have definitely been my test run to prepare me for children (somewhat). If it isn't one thing with them it is another.

Today the boys were playing outside as I made lunch. After they came in the house and went around the corner they were extremely quiet. As I called for them Walter came in making the most disturbing noise and pawing at his face with his mouth open. I was freaked out! I realized there was something stuck in his mouth/throat and he was having difficulty getting it out. I picked him up and started pounding on his back since I wasn't sure where it was stuck or whether he could breathe or not. He continued to paw at his face so I frantically stuck my fingers down his throat and pulled out a stick.

After I quit shaking I looked up how to do the Heimlich for your dog as well as where the nearest animal hospital is. I will have to do the same when we move to our new house. This has taught me to be prepared for anything and know where the nearest hospital is!



A side note: My mother called me the other day and asked me questions about my (nonexistent) 72 hour kit. She also said that I should have one for the boys since they will need food, water, and bones in an emergency. I love her! She is just as crazy as I am.

I think after the move my main focus will be preparation, something my mother has bothered me about since I first moved away from home 6 years ago. (I will need help mom when you come out to visit, FYI)

2 comments:

Katie Kat said...

weather...

just kidding! love you.

Just Joan said...

Stop making fun of me...all I have been doing is watching movies, since I am on vacation and about to enter the real world in less than a week...my brain has officially turned to mush.