Monday, June 21, 2010

Chicken and Rice Stuffed Peppers

I have decided to start cooking more outside my realm. I tend to learn a few good recipes and then stick to them. Today I stumbled across this recipe and made it tonight for dinner. I LOVED IT! I improvised a little but it still turned out excellent. I have also come to the conclusion that I really only eat red meat at restaurants and don't really eat it at all now. The vegetarians are rubbing off on me. I need to be careful!



It is super easy and doesn't take too much time! Also, the filling is delicious one could even just make it and serve for dinner; then it would really be a quick easy meal.

Ingredients

* 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
* 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
* 1 10-3/4-ounce can reduced-fat and reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup
* 1 cup water or chicken broth
* 1 single-serving-size envelope instant onion soup mix (about 1 tablespoon)
* 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
* 3 cups hot cooked rice
* 5 large green sweet peppers (about 8 ounces each)
* 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
* 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese (5 ounces)
* 1/3 cup chopped pimiento

Directions

1. Melt margarine or butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add celery and cook about 5 minutes or until tender.
2. Stir in condensed mushroom soup, water or broth, and onion soup mix. Heat until bubbly. Stir in chicken, heat through. Stir in rice' remove from heat.
3. To assemble, halve peppers lengthwise; remove stems, seeds, and membranes. Place pepper halves, cut sides up, in a large shallow baking or roasting pan. Divide chicken mixture among the pepper halves. Sprinkle with lemon-pepper seasoning.
4. Bake peppers, loosely covered with foil, in a 350 degree F oven about 45 minutes or until heated through. Top with cheese and pimiento. Bake, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or until cheese is just melted. Makes 10 servings.

HERE is the link to the website I found this on.

3 comments:

Katie Kat said...

Looks yummy. One of my new goals is to start cooking more and eating out less. :)

Just Joan said...

Same here. I want to try and eliminate eating out. It always gets ridiculous during the summer.

Sarah said...

Don't become a vegetarian Joan!! Otherwise you can't eat our eggrolls!