Friday, May 13, 2011

Junior Achievement 2011

I became involved in Junior Achievement this year and LOVED it. I am so glad that a colleague asked me to volunteer. I look forward to participating every year.

What is it?!

Junior Achievement is a partnership between the business community, educators and volunteers — all working together to inspire young people to dream big and reach their potential. JA's hands-on, experiential programs teach the key concepts of work readiness, entrepreneurship and financial literacy to young people all over the world.
(http://www.ja.org/)

I taught kindergarteners financial literacy (money, saving, trade, earn, etc). I can't describe the great experience I had with the kids. It was so much fun and they really do listen and know so much. I was thoroughly impressed. I cannot wait to do it again next year!





2 comments:

Katie Kat said...

That's awesome, Joan! I am still waiting on being matched with a little sister. It has been almost 6 months since I signed up with Big Brothers Big Sisters. The process is not an easy...I almost think they prolong it just to see if you are really committed. Anyway, I found out this week that my match, a little 10 year old girl, who I was supposed to meet tomorrow, have parents that won't get back to BBBS, so they are dropping her from the program. So sad. She's probably someone that could actually benefit and her parents just don't give a shit. So, the search begins anew. Oh, well. JA looks really cool. Maybe I should look into that instead =)

Katie Kat said...

Btw, I love that last picture. You look like a giant. Hell, you're taller than the white board. Gotta love it!!