Sunday, October 10, 2010

Hims Is Growing Up



So...are you suppose to get extremely emotional once you hit the ripe old age of 24?!?!

This year I cry about everything it seems like. Especially when I look at what my little brother is doing and where he is...maybe it is because we were really close growing up together.

He finished his two years at AWC and left for Texas to play Division I Basketball for Stephen F Austin University in Nacogdoches. He doesn't know it but I constantly worry about him being so far from family and on his own. I know he is older than I was when I left Arizona but the idea of him being on his own always worries me. I am like a mother hen.

Today I was browsing Facebook and came across a picture he posted. I am assuming it is hanging somewhere on his campus, most likely the gym. I smiled and then started tearing up.

Ever since Zachary was little he dreamed about playing Division I and being on t.v. for march madness. I even think he dreams about the NBA sometimes. I have never met anyone so dedicated or passionate about something. As a small child I always thought he was insane. He would go outside and shoot and do moves all day and night working on his game. Sometimes I think he was even playing against imaginary people. He was always doing funny moves. I use to watch (from inside of course) and think why would anyone work so hard at something that was so far away?? I mean who really knows what they want in college when they are 8?

Today in Gospel Principles lesson 34 "Developing Our Talents" was taught. It list the 6 ways we can develop our talents.
1. Evaluate ourselves to find our strengths and abilities
2. Willingness to spend time and effort
3. Faith in Heavenly Father to help us
4. Learn the necessary skills
5. Practice
6. Share our talents so that they may grow

This list talks nothing about love and passion which I think play an important role in developing a talent (don't get me wrong the list above is a great one). I have seen my little brother set a goal and work constantly through the years to perfect himself and his game. He loves playing, practicing, lifting, running, etc. Every element of basketball I think he loves and has a passion for. I often wish I could have that same passion and love for one of my talents. I admire him for these qualities. I am so proud of him and all he has done. I love him so much and enjoy watching him grow up.

Zachary keep being ambitious, hard working, passionate, and dedicated. Never give up on your dreams in life. I love you!

3 comments:

Sabra said...

Hims is.

Sarah said...

Good big sis! I remember your bro running and working out on his own too!

Carol Godinez said...

Wow...you made me cry...at the ripe old age of 31. Very sweet. You're a good big sis (and lil' sis too).