Wednesday, January 22, 2014

New Year's Resolution

Someone asked me what my New Year's Resolutions for 2014 were and I didn't really have an answer.  I try not to make resolutions because I have never really kept them (floss every day, write in a journal, etc.).  Why set myself up for failure?!

However, last year I decided that enough was enough and I was going to start eating more healthy and exercising more regularly.  I have been able to stick to my healthier lifestyle goals for all of 2013, so my goal for 2014 is to just keep up the good work!

I am very excited about what I was able to accomplish.  I have never felt better.  But instead of going on and on about everything I did I will just mention a few things I learned throughout the year.

I learned a lot about my body and food.  I learned even more about how my body reacts to the food I put into it.  I also learned that a little bit of exercise every now and then wasn't going to cut it, definitely helps but doesn't make the pounds come off.  I also learned that every one is different…different bodies, different weight loss/gain, different workout habits, different everything.  Find what works best for you and keep doing it!

But most of all I have made two realizations through this last year of healthier living...

#1 Slow and steady wins the race.  Just be consistent and do things that are manageable for your schedule/lifestyle and you will not only see a difference but healthy eating and regular exercise will become a part of your daily routine (not just something you are doing to lose weight).

#2 When eating, use the 80% rule.  Make good healthy choices 80% of the time and you will see results while still enjoying a cheat meal here and there.  Life isn't fun if we can't enjoy yummy but bad for you food every once in a while.

I took measurements so I could track my effort!



No comments: